Monday, October 5, 2015

Noche 2015 Artist Interview: Denise Yaghmourian

Denise Yaghmorian is a true creative spirit. She sculpts with any material that can be found in the observable universe. She also makes full room art installations, unique performance art pieces, and theatrical improv shows. She is also a ton of fun. Don't miss out on her or her art at this year's Noche event. And, with further ado, here are Denise's responses to the 2015 Noche artist questions:

Q: What kinds of art do you plan on bringing to this year's Noche event? 

A: I plan on doing a mixed media piece with lots of things I've collected and possibly an alter. Skulls, neon colors, and flowers in there somewhere.

Q: If you were to pick a person or two or three to memorialize this year for Day of the Dead, who would it be?

A: Definitely my amazing Dad and also my most fun uncle who recently passed away.

Q: What do you try to accomplish with your art?

A: I am inspired by artwork that makes me feel something, that pushes ideas about art and that motivates me to want to create. I would hope that my work could also do that. I currently have work at First Studio in downtown Phoenix. Kris Kollasch and I are there in a showing called "Collaborative Force" for the month of October.

Q: Where else and when can we see more of your art in the future?

A: To see what I've got going on and where you can see my work you can visit my websites www.deniseyaghmourian.com and www.deniseyaghmourianart.com

Q: When you die what do you hope people put on your Dia de los Muertos altar?

A: I want people to put their dancing shoes on my altar and boogie down! Dance baby! Dance!. also deep fried ice cream, That sounds really good right now.

Thanks, Denise! A Dia de los Muertos with people doing a dance number from "Footloose" on one of the altars might be just what the Doctor ordered.

The Noche Evening of the Arts celebrating the Day of the Dead is Friday, October 16 7-9pm at The Old Adobe Mission. That's at 3821 N. Brown St. in Old Town Scottsdale.

There will also be carved pumpkin art by my brother Brian, outdoor projections by Pat Klein, and live music by Adam & Edel. Also, let me reiterate, Denise is a top notch artist, so don't miss out!


No comments: